Nearby Things to Do
This beautiful area is best known for outdoor activities – hiking, canoeing, birding, kayaking, hunting, boating and fishing. Plus historic attractions like the Natchez Trace Parkway, Shiloh Battlefield, Loretta Lynn’s Ranch (Coal Miner’s Daughter), Meriwether Lewis Monument, & more.
* Local canoe and boat rentals available thru
Buffalo River Resort – North of hotel ~ 17 minutes on TN- 13, Lobelville, TN (931) 593-2000
Flatwoods Canoe Base (931) 589-5661 (South on Rte. 13 about 10 minutes) or Heath’s Canoe Rental (931)593- 2306 (North on 13 about 15 minutes).
*Boat Rentals on the TN River
* Mennonite community offer crafts including furniture, baskets, quilts, honey, locally made sorghum, fresh produce, homemade bread, jams, pickles, cheese, and more! Visit several farms in Lobelville, off Rte. 438, plus Cane Creek Market. Take 13 North about 10 minutes, then right on 438. Follow signs.
* Nearby wine trail, including
Grinders Switch Winery in Centerville. http://www.gswinery.com
* Mousetail Landing State Park http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/MousetailLanding/
and Lady’s Bluff hiking trail and “Small Wild Area” are 15 minutes Northwest of the hotel. These parks are true gems, offering spectacular views of the Tennessee River, pristine forests and wildlife, and some historical perspective of the river’s importance to life before automobiles and super-highways.
* Cedar Creek Iron Furnace Historical Site – Explore this monumental wonder, including its freshwater stream, and learn why iron was so important here and across the country in the mid-1800s. See the Iron Furnace Trail booklet in the Lobby.
*Natchez Trace Parkway – Explore the Southeast’s first “highway” – on which colonial travelers and Indians moved on foot or horseback. This award-winning roadway offers beautiful scenery, historical sites, and wildlife – without stop signs or commercial activity. A favorite “bucket list” road of bikers – bicyclists & motorcycle riders across the country.
Follow 412 East about 30 minutes and follow signs.
* Meriwether Lewis Park Grave and Monument – Located on the Natchez Trace, off Rte. 20 in Hohenwald. Here is the site where Lewis purportedly shot himself while staying at an Inn along the Natchez Trace. Lewis was traveling on the Trace to visit Thomas Jefferson in Virginia. The monument is half-complete – just as Lewis’ life was only half-fulfilled. Take 412 East 20 minutes to Hohenwald, then right on Rte. 20 about 10 minutes. Follow signs.
* The Lewis County Museum of Local and Natural History – features one of the largest collections of wild animal mounts in the western hemisphere. The museum is in downtown Hohenwald, just 20 minutes East on Rte. 412.
* Tennis courts 3 blocks west of the hotel.
* Loretta Lynn’s Ranch – North on Rte.13 about 28 miles http://www.lorettalynn.com
* Grinder’s Switch/Minnie Pearl Museum
in Centreville – 30 minutes Northeast on Rte. 100.
* History buffs will enjoy the Antebellum Homes Trail
in Spring Hill – about 1 hour East of hotel; or a visit to Shiloh Civil War Battlefield – www.nps.gov/shil/
just outside Savannah, TN – about 1 ¼ hours Southwest of hotel.
* Use your golfer’s skills at nearby Buffalo River Country Club – about 10 minutes North on Rte. 13.
*Annual Festivals, Concerts & Fairs: Mule Day in Columbia, TN, Loretta Lynn Concerts, Trail Ride, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship, Decatur County World’s Largest Coon Hunt,